Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Right now, I’m sitting in our hotel room as Gracie finishes up her morning nap. As I said yesterday, she got sick last night just as we were going into Pizza Hut. We were hoping it was just something she ate, but she was running a little fever throughout the night. We have started her on Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and an antibiotic. Hopefully, she will turn the corner this afternoon. She has managed to keep a pretty decent sized breakfast down, so we are taking that as a good sign.

David is out on a Chinese adventure right now. Our guide took the group to a nationality center. I’m not sure exactly what it is, but from what I’ve heard, I think it will be very interesting. He took the camera, so hopefully we will get lots of pictures. Maybe he will even tell us all about it when they get back. :)

In my post last night, I forgot to mention our Wal-Mart experience. Oh my goodness!! Not at all what you would think. We knew it was quite different the moment we pulled in the parking lot. There was an intense basketball game with spectators going on. I think David really wanted to join in, but I talked him out of it. :) There was also a play area for children. It had slides, swings, etc. There was probably more equipment than most of our playgrounds at school. Then, they had another area with television sets. Many people were just gathered around watching television. All of this was going on right in front of the store, and there were people everywhere. Think Black Friday, but without the wait at the checkout. Our group decided to split up and meet back out front in 45 minutes. We were there to get basic supplies. We were told not to bring too much excess stuff for the baby since we would be making a Wal-Mart trip. Most of us thought 45 minutes was plenty to pick up a few odds and ends. Wrong!! We had no idea what we were in for the moment we stepped through those doors. First of all, there were workers EVERYWHERE. I mean several on EACH aisle. That, however, was no help at all for us because of our lack of Chinese. We needed diapers, formula, and snacks for Gracie. Diapers were easy, and I finally found some formula that said 0 - 12 months in English. The snacks were a whole other issue. We finally just decided if it had a picture of a child on it, we were going for it. It’s very intimidating to feel so completely helpless. You can’t read anything, and you can’t even ask for help.

I think she’s waking up, so I will go for now. I have to practice those kisses! :) Also, I have no pictures because David has the camera right now. I will try to add some later.

4 comments:

Wife of the Pres. said...

Glad she seems to be better and has kept breakfast down! Poor baby! Oh, wow, thanks for sharing about the Wal-Mart. Just curious. Did you bring cheerios? I have two huge bags in the suitcase but am planning to bring cheese grits and M&Ms. Obviously Gracie isn't big enough for those but we plan to use them as needed for kisses! ;))) So fun to watch you all and to imagine in about a month being there!!! Thanks so much for sharing and for your friendship!!! Can't wait to hear about David's adventure to Minority Village.

Anonymous said...

I am glad she is feeling better. She is absolutely precious. The hugs and kisses will come. Trust me, Katie had to even adjust to that when we first spent time with her. Her Gotcha Day is coming up in September. I just can not believe it has been 10 years since her adoption was final.

Cathy

Carla said...

My little Katie got sick about the 2nd/3rd day we had her. Vomit, cough, and fever. Just lethargic. Tell your guide she is sick (probably knows) and have her seen back at the orphanage. Their doctors will see her, look at her, and give you medicines if she needs them (some sort of rehydration tablet was awesome for us). BUT...DRESS HER IN 2 LAYERS at least!!! We didn't, and we got chewed out. ;)

I am pretty sure you are in Kunming, if not, then just ignore. ;) Guangzhou has a good doctor as well - CanAm international clinic. Katie ended up with an asthma attack like bronchitis something or other. Email me if you want more specifics, or if curious...my blog in December detailed some of the illness. {hug}

Anonymous said...

Well there ya go, wal-mart there is like macy's on steroids, lol. Quite an experience though. I hope ya'll are having the best time you can, and Gracie is just adorable. I'm sure you are both crazy about her. She is one of the cutest little babies i've ever seen. If you ever need a babysitter let me know, lol, you know I've done it before.

Nate.